Thursday, September 10, 2009

Memories and lessons

I remember in grade 10 when I was walking to school one day, early in my high school career. There were 2 girls walking behind me, I was wearing a brand new outfit that my Mum had bought me especially for school, it was a nice black skirt and grey cardigan and mary jane shoes, I had pretty socks on too, even though I was wearing black shoes, they were white socks, but I liked them. I now realize how silly I probably looked, but at the time I thought they were a nice touch. Very MJ. Well! The 2 girls behind me started making fun of me, really loudly and pointing and laughing at my outfit, it destroyed me, it totally broke my heart. From that point on I completely conformed, I only wore what other girls wore, I was a fashion victim to the nth degree. I refused to deviate from the strict conformity.
About a year ago I started wearing white socks with my black shoes again, because my feet get cold. My friends teased me again, but I found I didn’t care, and neither did they, they accepted my odd ways with love and found it endearing. That’s what real friends do, they make fun of you and then tell you they love you, and your white socks. Don’t ever underestimate the power of horrible fashion sense. With inner permission from 10th Grade Asha I will begin to wear side ponytails and tie dye again, because she deserves to shine, in every way possible.
Oh and those girls? The mean ones? I bet they’re fat and ugly now.
Ps. They were totally band geeks.

1 comment:

  1. So its okay to wear white socks with black shoes? Do they have to be Ankle Socks? Kass continually harasses me based on my sock choice. Damn her and her sock judging.

    ReplyDelete